sábado, 21 de enero de 2023

JASON PEARSON: EL PRECIOSO PANEGÍRICO DE SU COMPAÑERO BRIAN STELFREEZE

“It’s not the time, but it’s the moments that count. I grew up on an incredibly fertile island with Jason Pearson, along with a few other siblings, called Gaijin Studios. 

It was a magical place where, as Karl Story once said, “we were all shamed into doing our best work.” True, but it was a joyful and exhilarating shame.
    

Watching Jason work was like sightseeing on Mount Kilauea. 

I’ve watched him use graphite like a philosopher’s stone to conjure beautiful pages from equal measures of genius and madness. 


He could explain the how and why behind every decision he made, but it didn’t make the experience any less religious.

My best moments with Jay were after midnight and on till dawn, when ego had gone to bed and delirium gave rise to truth.


 Criticism and praise carried the same weight and acceptance. He taught me things that still affect my work today and I am better for it.

That was an interesting thing about Gaijin. Everyone had a couch in their office and it was most often for visitors. You would lay on the couch and learn or sit at the desk and teach.
   

Pearson’s office was a night class and it was a treat when it was in session. Those were all great times but even better moments. 

I will miss you Jay.
    

My friend, brother, studio mate, son, rival, partner in crime, teacher, and student. I hope to see you again in the smoke of the midnight oil.”
   


No hay comentarios: